Transport plays a vital role supporting economic growth, increasing prosperity through job creation, delivering products to markets and supporting trade.
The Welsh Government is responsible for the Motorways and trunk roads in Wales, whilst also working strategically with Network Rail to enhance and improve railway infrastructure, with their objective of promoting an efficient, effective, sustainable and inclusive transport network.
The National Transport Finance Plan, updated in July 2016, explains in detail how these outcomes will be delivered. Offering information on funding and proposed timescales of these schemes, the Welsh Government have set ambitious plans to support a modern society with high levels of mobility.
This networking event will focus on road, rail and freight, with topics up for discussion including:
- The construction of new roads and improving existing roads
- Renewing roads, bridges and other structures
- Improvement of rail services for passenger and freight
- The latest developments to Wales’ rail electrification objectives
- The process of procuring the next Wales and Borders rail franchise, along with South Wales Metro and outlining their vision for a modern rail service, utilising modern technology to deliver an improved service for passengers
- The implications of Brexit to Wales’ competitiveness and exposure to the volatility of the export market
The event will provide invaluable information to any individual or organisation looking to strengthen relationships in the sector, whilst offering an opportunity to engage with new and existing clients.
- 6:00 PM - 7:00 PMPre event drinks reception
- 7:10 PM - 7:15 PMKeynote speech
- 7:15 PM - 7:45 PMQ&A discussion - roadsSimon Jones - Director of Transport (Welsh Government)
Sheila Davies - Programme Director (CCR City Deal)
Dionne Winter – Director (HeadNorth Consulting)
- 7:45 PM - 9:15 PMDinner
- 9:30 PM - 10:30 PMQ&A discussion – railSimon Jones - Director of Transport (Welsh Government)
Andy Scogins Lead Strategic Planner (Network Rail)
Gareth Thomas - HR Director (Arriva Trains)
Mike Tapscott - Projects and Planning Director (Arriva Trains Wales)
Sharon Hedges, Franchise Programme Manager (Transport Focus)
- 10:30 PM - 1:00 AMNetworking and drinks