I am 58 years of age and have two children, Cheryl aged 28 and Jordan aged 24. I reside in Cardonald, an area of Glasgow, and I broadly represent the area in which I grew up.
Having entered local government in 1995 after an active period with my trade union ASLEF, my aim was to achieve change on behalf of the community, particularly from a transport perspective as this is the brief which interests me most. My emphasis is on daily contact with my constituents and I make myself available to them through surgeries, e-mail, home visits, attendance at community groups etc.
My active role in local politics is, I believe, an example to others who also share the view that representing people locally is worth pursuing. I believe that the Labour Party is the only vehicle to achieve change for social justice. Being part of the administration is a huge privilege not only to represent the people and the area in which I grew up but to achieve change on their behalf.
Since becoming a councillor I have held the following positions at various times:-
- Vice-convener, Roads and Transportation Committee
- Convener, Land and Environmental Services Department
- Chair, Road Safety Committee
- Chair, West of Scotland Road Safety Forum
- Chair, Strathclyde Passenger Transport
- Chair, Strathclyde Partnership for Transport
- Chair, Regeneration and the Economy Committee
- Chair, Intelligent Transport Systems Political Grouping
- From 27 June 2013, Executive Member for Sustainability and Transport
- Current Business Manager of the Council